Vice President, Development
Vice President of Development
Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) USA is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Jane Goodall’s pioneering work on chimpanzee behavior and conservation. Its mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate citizenry who will help to create a better world for people, other animals and our shared environment. The breadth of JGI’s mission reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species, whether chimpanzee or human, depends upon the collaboration of all people.
The Vice President of Development Role
JGI is launching a renewed effort to enlarge our base of private and public partnerships. To support this renewed effort, we are seeking a Vice President of Development and Marketing to spearhead a comprehensive development and marketing program to ensure JGI is able to grow and thrive for many years to come. The Vice President will be part of an existing team of dedicated fundraising and marketing professionals. The Vice President will develop and execute strategies and multi-year objectives to secure funding from individuals, corporate and foundation donors, and the public sector. The ideal candidate will bring a depth of experience to all these areas. In addition to managing the development team, this individual will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a portfolio of relationships and will be expected to have the capacity and experience to secure sufficient funding to meet JGI USA’s ambitious 5 Year Strategy (2018-2023) and beyond.
The Vice President of Development will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely with other departments, including Africa Programs, Communications, Human Resources & Operations, Office of the Founder, Finance, and Roots & Shoots, staff members, as well as JGI USA’s board of directors. The Vice President of Development will be based in our Vienna, VA US-HQ, but expected to travel throughout the United States as well as to project sites in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Develop, manage and execute a comprehensive multi-year Development and Marketing Strategy (predicated upon the JGI USA 5 Year Strategy (2018-2023), that will meet the Institute’s fundraising goals, and include areas related to market analysis, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of funders. The strategy will clearly set short-term (3-5 years) and long-term (5+ years) targets for unrestricted and restricted giving; expand our corporate partnership reach; focus on building JGI’s operational reserves; and include an integrated marketing strategy.
- Direct and guide all aspects of the gift cycle: perform research and identify prospects; cultivate through personal communication, mailings and visits; solicit, acknowledge and close gifts; and foster continuing relationships.
- Create cross-departmental objectives and joint-work plans between the Office of the Founder and Communication Team to streamline workflow and maximize efficiency around shared objectives.
- Work collaboratively with the JGI executive team to specifically identify their roles in meeting fundraising targets associated with their departments. This would include acting as an expert coach to refine donor cultivation skills among mid-level to senior departmental managers.
- Design and execute a plan to further capitalize JGI USA’s endowment to support specific aspects of our work in Africa, including sanctuary management activities and historical chimpanzee research in Gombe National Park.
- Support the major gifts portfolio of the Executive Director (ED), ensure the ED has a high volume of donor-related activities, including preparation and proper follow up.
- Advice and support the Founder on matters related to fundraising during her trips to USA and integrate board members appropriately to further the Founders’ efforts in this regard.
- Design and develop solicitation strategies, shape giving opportunities that match donors' interests.
- Lead, build and supervise the development team in carrying out all aspects of a comprehensive fundraising program, including direct mail, corporate and foundation philanthropy, major gifts, planned giving, data analysis, prospect research and events management.
- Work with the JGI executive team on Board development.
- Identify and implement best practices, solve fundraising challenges, and ensure that JGI is utilizing the best development strategies and practices.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors and ensure compliance with JGI's values, mission and vision.
- Serve as a knowledgeable and professional representative of the Institute to important internal and external constituents.
- Represent and market JGI's programs with confidence, clarity and knowledge of details of program goals and objectives.
- Engage with peers in the JGI global network of offices in a collaborative way.
- Travel regionally, nationally and internationally to assist in the cultivation of major donors and solicitation of leadership gifts.
Please submit a cover letter, CV and two writing samples (cultivation letter, acknowledgment, proposal or other major donor related document) through the Careers Page of our website: www.janegoodall.org by April 15, 2019
The Vice President of Development will:
- Hold a Bachelor's Degree; an advance degree is preferred;
- He/she will possess at least ten years of development experience with demonstrable experience leading a successful fundraising team; experience in environmental not-for-profit organizations is an asset.
- He/she can demonstrate a track record of cultivating and maintaining relationships with major donors that have resulted in gifts of $100,000 or more;
- The successful candidate is a dynamic and energetic leader with the passion, skills and ambition to lead an international development program forward;
- A proven relationship builder, he/she has experience working effectively high level volunteers, Board members, senior staff and institutional leaders;
- The successful candidate is an articulate advocate who understands media and branding and can promote the work and protect the reputation of JGI on a national scale and in multi-cultural settings. He/she is a top-notch communicator who can articulate a compelling case for giving that advances JGI's unique brand as a leader in the fields of community based conservation and youth leadership development.
- The VP of Development will be is an excellent leader who instills pride, confidence and professionalism in his/her staff, and whose authority and expertise gives him/her credibility with leaders inside and outside the organization.
- The successful candidate is persuasive. He/she has a track record for developing substantial major gifts from a variety of sources including foundations, corporations and individuals.
- The VP of Development is passionate about the mission of JGI and feels a personal and professional sense of urgency to advance its programs and mission.
- The VP of Development´s values and beliefs align with JGI´s culture of respect and kindness, positivity, inclusivity, gratitude, integrity and compassion.