Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) USA is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Jane Goodall’s pioneering work on chimpanzee behavior and conservation. Its mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate citizenry who will help to create a better world for people, other animals and our shared environment. The breadth of JGI’s mission reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species, whether chimpanzee or human, depends upon the collaboration of all people.
JGI is searching for a Grants Compliance Manager to be based in our Vienna, VA US-HQ.
The Grants Compliance Manager will take the lead in assuring that JGI meets its regulatory, budgetary, and legal obligations in the management of all grants, from inception to closure. Key responsibilities include providing budget analytics and forecasting for donor reporting and internal pipeline analyses; sub-recipient management and contracting; certifying project procurement and asset management processes at field level follow donor regulations and Institute policies; and strengthening team capacity in efficient compliance practices that align with donor and Institute policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Coordination of participatory, monthly budget analysis (with technical program leads) to ensure resources are being deployed on time and on-budget to meet workplan and targets and to drive accurate monthly finance forecasts.
· Monitor project budget variance closely and ensure proactive communication and action between the Finance and Program Offices regarding budget targets and potential adjustments.
· Ensure compliance with USG and other donor requirements outlined in the grant agreement. This includes conducting site visits to ensure compliance with JGI and donor regulations and recommending correct actions to Department Heads.
· Track and manage all grant sub-awards where JGI is the prime recipient, by ensuring sub-recipients/awardee agreements are up-to-date, including amendments that reflect updates to workplan, budget, and reporting. Provide written and face-to-face communications to ensure contract terms are well understood and that partners have resources and capacity to comply with terms and reporting requirements. Ensure verification of final deliverables and payments to all sub-awardees.
· Responsible for the timely and accurate submission of financial donor reporting on a quarterly and annual basis.
· Evaluate JGI’s current financial management system and grant tracking processes, and, with the CFO approval, may institute corrective actions.
· In coordination with technical program leads, track the submission of quarterly and annual narrative reports for on-time delivery. Provide notification to CFO and Program Department heads if reports are in danger of being out of compliance with established deadlines.
· As requested by program office, provide support in approval and signing of the contractual agreements between JGI and vendors, including the negotiation of contracts, execution and payment.
· Help identify training needs and training options for project and Institute staff.
· Coordinate and deliver informal, practical trainings for project and Institute staff on USG regulations or other compliance systems.
· Identify management system weaknesses, provide recommendations for improved systems performance, and establish priorities.
· Manage grant startup and closeout process with appropriate technical team leads.
· Manage and monitor award payment mechanism process
Required Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; advanced degree preferred
. Grant development, writing and post-award management;
· Five or more years experience and training with applicable U.S. Federal government circulars (OMB Circulars A- 110, A-122 and A-133), state and local regulations, and standard contract clauses;
· Experience working in Africa is a plus;
· Extensive knowledge of the Uniform Guidance;
· Ability to effectively communicate at all levels and with multiple constituents;
· Independent thinker with strong customer service orientation and collaborative work style;
· Attention to detail;
· Ability to understand, interpret, and communicate policies and procedures;
· Excellent organizational skills;
· A passion for transformative change;
· Ability to build collaborative relationships and effective work-groups;
· High ethical standards;
· Advanced Excel skills a must;
· Ability and willingness to travel to the field (Africa) (10%)
· Intermediate to advanced French speaking skills a plus.
FT position with excellent benefits. EOE. Please apply online through the Careers Page of our website: www.janegoodall.org by July 19, 2019