Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) USA is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Jane Goodall’s pioneering work on chimpanzee behavior and conservation. Its mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate citizenry who will help to create a better world for people, other animals and our shared environment. The breadth of JGI’s mission reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species, whether chimpanzee or human, depends upon the collaboration of all people.
JGI is searching for a Controller to be based in our Vienna, VA US-HQ.
The Controller directs the financial affairs of the organization and prepares financial analyses of operations, including interim and final financial statements with supporting schedules, for the guidance of management. The Controller is responsible for the company's accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records and the preparation of financial reports. The position involves supervision over general accounting, external auditing, cost accounting, and corporate budgetary controls.
- Assures the accuracy and verification of the company's accounting system, financial records and files.
- Establishes and ensures financial records are in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards and accounting principles.
- Ensures compliance with appropriate government and non-profit regulations.
- Implements and monitors company procedures and policies with appropriate internal control safeguards
- Maintains consistent approval process for revenue, expenditure, budgets, payroll updates, documentation and the maintenance of related accounts and ledgers.
- Takes active role in the preparation of the organization’s budget.
- Provides support in the preparation of cost proposals for bids.
- Oversees the timely preparation of monthly invoices.
- Responsible for monthly indirect rate calculation and applicability to awards.
- Responsible for accuracy of revenue recording
- Monitors the indirect costs rates and reports on the financial impact on the company.
- Oversees timely preparation and submission of the annual Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate (NICRA) Agreement.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget.
- Ensures that all Program Managers receive budget project reports and monitor reports for unusual items that require attention of management.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of personnel in the Finance Department.
- Recommends training requirements for staff and to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives.
- Interacts with external auditors and other regulatory agents with respect to the review of financial and contractual records.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 5-7 years of experience in the non-profit sector.
- Supervised performance, deliverables, and department staffing for two or more direct reports in finance.
- Understand internal control frameworks and educated employees on those compliance processes to lessen contract risk.
- Created and managed short and long-term cash flow plans.
- Experience with negotiated indirect cost rate agreement (NICRA) submissions.
- Supervised all phases of external audit activity and filing of U.S. 990 tax return.
- Cross-trained finance team for succession planning, business knowledge, and developmental goals.
- Excel skills to create complex formulas and functions Fluency in English, which includes the use of accurate grammar.
- Presented in front of small and large groups including tailoring communication approaches to an intended audience.
- Ability to work long hours during peak times, for example preparing annual audit.
- Meet and enforce deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills to build internal and external relationships quickly.
- Ability to work as an effective team member and collaboratively with other stakeholders.
- Able to learn the business and fully understand how and why tasks satisfy business needs.
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS:
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Supervised global finance team.
- Implemented financial systems.
- Data analysis experience.
FT position with excellent benefits. EOE. Please apply online through the Careers Page of our website: www.janegoodall.org by March 15, 2019