To support content curation and audience development across JGI’s youth program Roots & Shoots’ digital communications platforms, in collaboration with Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) Community Engagement staff. The Community Engagement Specialist will work directly with the Community Engagement team to develop and support management of content, inclusive of creation and deployment of relevant content across the program's main website (rootsandshoots.org), Good For All News (news.janegoodall.org), wikis, email and social media (primarily Facebook, Twitter and Instagram). In addition, the Specialist is responsible for understanding, engaging and growing the audiences specific to the strategic goals of JGI and the Roots & Shoots USA program. The role will also include monitoring and reporting on the performance of the Roots & Shoots platforms and overall goals as they pertain to engagement and reach for the brand. The role will also include a percentage collaboration within the Community Engagement team across efforts as necessary for integrated strategic needs and opportunities for the organization as a whole.
This position is based in Vienna, VA.
About Roots & Shoots:
Founded in 1991 by Dr. Jane Goodall, Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is a youth service program for young people of all ages. Our mission is to foster respect and compassion for all living things, to promote understanding of all cultures and beliefs, and to inspire each individual to take action to make the world a better place for people, other animals, and the environment.
To learn more about the program, please visit us at www.rootsandshoots.org
· Maintain and schedule program editorial calendar for deployment of content across digital platforms.
· Create, edit and publish written and visual content on website, Good For All News, email and social media and other publications.
· Manage the development of content required for strategic campaigns (year end, anniversaries, birthdays, UN days, etc …).
· Contribute to collaborative efforts to create multimedia content for Roots & Shoots online platforms and internal use.
Audience Development and Maintenance
· Maintain and hone understanding of Roots & Shoots’ core audiences and their interests through regular interactions, polls and surveys; deploying correspondingly relevant content to each audience.
· With the Community Engagement team develop, maintain and track relationships with key public stakeholders, including potential brand ambassadors, influencers, and media allies.
· Actively engage with audiences on social media including publishing content, as well as responding to comments and direct messages.
· Define new audiences and grow network to deliver on both increased scale of Roots & Shoots program and increased engagement across levels of participation.
Engagement Performance Monitoring and Evaluation
· Regularly record metrics that provide insight into the performance of the Roots & Shoots program (total mentions, share of voice, klout, etc …) as well as platform specific metrics (website analytics, user behavior, open/click through rates, social media following) as well as audience growth and engagement.
· Prepare monthly reports and graphics to inform and visualize the performance and impact of JGI’s content as well as audience engagement.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of 3 years demonstrated experience working in communications, marketing, and/or youth programming related field (or some combination), preferably in an organizing or youth development setting; a commitment to youth empowerment and a passion/knowledge of education and environmental/humanitarian/social justice issues; strong interpersonal and communications skills. Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or similar (other concentrations considered with relevant work experience). Graduate degree welcomed.
· Demonstrated success developing and deploying engaging content across multi-faceted digital platforms
· Experience/knowledge of WordPress content management system
· Experience managing websites, blogs, and email marketing systems (mailchimp, MyEmma, etc.)
· Social media experience/expertise, particularly in the sphere of youth engagement and/or education/activism
· Strong writing skills and understanding of best practices in creation and deployment of Web content
· Experience using graphic editing software, including Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop and Illustrator, Canva, and survey tools (JotForm, SurveyMonkey, etc).
. Experience in inclusivity and educational spaces/youth engagement; Background in areas like social justice, environmental justice, activism, youth programming/movements, preferred
· Experience with performance measurement tools for Web traffic (Google Analytics), email open/click through rates, social media network analysis
· Strong background in brand cohesion and brand identity
· Strong marketing skills, particularly audience specific marketing
· Strong diplomacy and effective interpersonal skills
· High level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence
FT position with excellent benefits. EOE. Please apply online through the Careers Page of our website: www.janegoodall.org by September 30, 2019